1. Union Minister of Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the new user-friendly website of IMD and dedicated to the nation the System of Aerosol Monitoring And Research (SAMAR) which is a network of 16 Aethalometers, 12 Sky radiometers and 12 Nephelometers.
2. The Commercial tax department of Bihar has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) for sharing of foreign exchange realization data.
3. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased shareholding in its wholly-owned subsidiary, the National Housing Bank (NHB), by contributing Rs.1,000 crore towards its paid-up capital.
4. The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the “Hall of Nuclear Power”.
5. Cochin Port Trust and CONCOR have entered into a MoU for the running of weekly container train service from Irugur ICD, Coimbatore to ICTT Vallarpadam, Cochin Port.
6. An independent Delhi-based writer Ankita Anand on 14 January 2016 won the European Commission’s prestigious Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for 2015 in Asia and the Pacific amateur category.
7. US President Barack Obama would present the prestigious National Medal of Science to an Indian-American scientist for his outstanding contribution to science. Dr. Rakesh Jain, an IIT-Kanpur alumnus, is professor of tumor biology at Massachusetts General Hospital in the Harvard Medical School.
8. China sent a Belarusian telecom satellite into intended orbit from southwest China’s Xichang Satellite Launch Center at Beijing. The satellite, carried by a Long March-3B rocket, is Belarus’ first communication satellite, and this was also the first time that China had launched a satellite for a European country. The Belintersat-1 was built by China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp. with a designed life of 15 years.
9. Dr. Mahesh Sharma, the Minister of State for Ministry of Tourism & Culture (Independent Charge) and Ministry of Civil Aviation inaugurated an exhibition entitled “Shoonya Ghar” by a well known contemporary artist Shri Sudarshan Shetty at National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) under Ministry of Culture.
10. China will send a new lunar mission in 2018 to the dark side of the moon which is not yet explored by humans. The Chang’e-4 probe will be the first mission in human history to embark on this expedition.