1. M.S. Dhir of AAP elected new Speaker of Delhi Assembly. After a smooth sailing in the confidence vote, AAP on Friday scored yet another victory in the Delhi Assembly when its candidate M S Dhir was elected Speaker with the backing of Congress, JD(U) and an Independent. 37 MLAs voted for Dhir while BJP candidate Jagdish Mukhi got the support of 32 MLAs from his party and ally Akali Dal.
2. Corporation Bank has launched a year-long campaign for the delivery of agriculture credit and financial inclusion initiatives at all its branches. Lending to agriculture and allied activities to farming families and assessing their needs comprehensively will be pursued during the camps at the bank’s branches. The objective of the campaign is to stimulate sustainable development of agricultural systems focused on farming families, community units, self-help groups, and cooperatives working in rural areas, the statement added.
3. Targeting young individuals, public sector Indian Overseas Bank today launched ‘Connect Card’, a new ATM cum Debit card in association with VISA that can be used for e-commerce across five lakh merchant outlets. Though all IOB customers have been provided ATM cum Debit card, Connect Card is targeted at the younger generation aged between 10 and 28 years, the city-based bank said in a statement. IOB Connect cards can be used at over five lakh outlets as well as for online shopping.
4. West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman Justice A.K. Ganguly on Friday resigned from the post of honorary professor of the National University of Juridical Sciences, a student of which had made allegations of sexual harassment against him.
5. Manoj Vaish appointed as new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Multi Commodity Exchange of India Ltd (MCX). Vaish is currently the Managing Director of NSDL Database Management. He was earlier an Executive Director of the BSE between 1998 and 2004 and CEO of financial services research firm Dun & Bradstreet. fb.com/allcurrentaffairs
6. Bharti Retail has appointed former head of Walmart India Raj Jain as its Chief Executive Officer and Pankaj Madan as Chief Financial Officer. Raj Jain will report to Bharti Enterprises Vice-Chairman and Managing Director Rajan Bharti Mittal.
7. Sunil Kumar Sood has been appointed General Manager, Central Railway with effect from December 31, 2013. He was earlier Chief Mechanical Engineer, Southern Railway, Chennai. Sood had also served as Divisional Railway Manager, Jodhpur Division, North Western Railway, Chief Workshop Manager, Jamalpur, Eastern Railway, Additional Divisional Railway Manager, Moradabad Division, Northern Railway, earlier. He also worked for eight years each at the Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala and the South-Eastern Railway after joining Indian Railways in 1978.
8. Tata Sons today announced appointment of Shankar Venkateswaran as Chief — Tata Sustainability Group with the responsibility of driving group level initiatives in the sustainability space, and guiding Tata Sons and the group companies on sustainability and CSR initiatives. Venkateswaran will report directly to Mukund Rajan, Member — Group Executive Council, Brand Custodian and Chief Ethics Officer, Tata Sons, a company statement said.
9. Iron lady Margaret Thatcher has been voted the most successful post-war British Prime Minister by lawmakers in a survey in which Winston Churchill came a distant fourth. The survey was carried out by Politics and International Relations students at Royal Holloway, University of London. The former Conservative leader, who died last April at the age of 87, was valued for her decisiveness by MPs who took part in the poll.
10. Mumbai Police have issued a lookout notice against former world Billiards champion Michael Ferreira after he failed to appear before them in connection with a 425-crore rupees scam. The lookout notice was issued against Ferreira in connection with a multi- level marketing firm QNet, in which he claimed to hold shares.
11. Serena Williams of United States defeated Russia’s Maria Sharapova in straights 6-2, 7-6 to enter the finals of the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on Friday. Serena Williams will meet Victoria Azarenka.
12. In the ATP Tour Chennai Open Tennis championships, Yuki Bhrambri has kept India’s hopes alive by advancing to the quarter finals.
13. India qualified to play against Pakistan in the final of the Asian Cricket Council Under-19 Asia Cup when they defeated Sri Lanka by three wickets in the second semi-finals played here at the ICCAcademy on Thursday. Now the final will be played between Pakistan and India on Saturday (January 4) at Sharjah.