2. R. Chandrashekhar was appointed as President of National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM) on 4 January 2014.
3. The government has notified the modalities for the beleaguered sugar industry to avail of interest-free loans to the tune of 6,600 crore rupees from banks for payments to cane growers.
4. Hosts Australia completed the 5-0 Ashes whitewash, as they defeated England by 281 runs in the final test at Sydney, with two days remaining.
5. With global economic growth in 2014 projected to increase to 3.5 per cent from 2.9 per cent in 2013, world oil demand is forecast to rise by one million barrels per day, according to the latest monthly bulletin of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
6. The Reserve Bank is likely to soon issue guidelines to allow banks to act as insurance broker with a view to boost business and arrest decline in insurance penetration.
7. The burden of rising bad loans on banks can be reduced by speedy clearances and execution of pending projects, a top official of industry body PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry said.
8. Having regained the Rs 1 lakh crore level for average assets under management, leading fund house Reliance Capital Asset Management Company (RCAM) expects revival in retail investor interest in mutual funds to continue through the current fiscal and in the next year.
9. Secretary of State John Kerry is heading to Jordan and Saudi Arabia to discuss his effort to broker peace between Israel and the Palestinians, yet his conversations with the US allies will undoubtedly turn to other Mideast trouble spots.
10. Adani Power has fully commissioned the 1,320 MW coal-fired power project in Rajasthan taking its overall electricity generation capacity to 7,920 MW.