1. Narendra Modi gets a clean chit in Gujarat riots case. In a big relief to BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, an Ahmedabad court on Thursday rejected a petition filed by Zakia Jafri against the closure report of Special Investigation Team (SIT) which gave a clean chit to the Gujarat Chief Minister in connection with the 2002 post-Godhra riots case.
2. Couple of bitcoin operators in India have begun suspending their business after RBI’s warning against use of such virtual currencies due to potential money laundering and cyber security risks.
3. The Union Cabinet has approved granting of constitutional status to proposed Judicial Appointments Commission, JAC, for appointment and transfer of judges to the higher judiciary today.
4. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the proposal of Axis Bank for increase in foreign investment from 49 percent to 62 percent.
5. The Central Government has appointed Arun Tiwari as Chairman & Managing Director of Union Bank of India. Prior to this, He was an executive director at Allahabad Bank.
6. Senior IAS officer Ashok Lavasa was today appointed as Civil Aviation Secretary. The 1980 batch IAS officer of Haryana cadre is currently Special Secretary in Ministry of Power.
7. Senior IPS officer J N Choudhury has been appointed as head of National Security Guard (NSG) in place of Arvind Ranjan who will take over as the full-time chief of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
8. Senior IPS officer Arvind Ranjan will take over as the full-time chief of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) in place of J N Choudhury. The Union Home Ministry issued the orders today on the appointments to the two important central security forces.
9. The Union Cabinet today approved a pension proposal for 43,000 MTNL employees, who joined the public sector company from Department of Telecom. The pension proposal will cost the government an estimated 500 crore rupees annually.
10. The Punjab govt launched a pension scheme for the registered construction workers of the state under which those aged 60 and above will be paid up to Rs 10,000 annually. The construction workers registered with the Punjab Building and Other Construction Workers’ Welfare Board, who have attained the age of 60 years, would be benefited under the new scheme.
11. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif Pakistan’s richest parliamentarian. The fortune of the elected representatives in Pakistan range from billions of rupees to just a few lakhs. Several legislators are industrialists owning sugar and textile mills, landlords and businessmen.
12. Deepika Kumari creates national record in women’s 50 m archery. Top ranked women recurve archer Deepika Kumari has created a national record in women’s 50 metre round in the 34th Senior National Archery Championship in Jamshedpur. World Cup silver medallist Deepika shot 346 points breaking the previous record of 333 points held by Olympian L Bombayla Devi.